I Eat Pub Food: The Public House

Post drinks with the girls? Craving comfort food while you watch the game? Just got out of small groups but not ready to call it a night? Finished a grueling workout and ready to demolish those extra calories you just earned?

The answer to all these dilemmas is The Public House! It's open late and there is something to suit everyone's tastes! The Public House is the recent replacement to the White Horse Pub on Lockwood Ridge and University. I stumbled upon it by accident one day (planning on eating at Maharaja, which turned out to be closed at that time) and this humble looking eatery took me quite by surprise. There is nothing trendy or hipster chic about it, but it's just good food at good prices, staffed by good people who seem to really care about what they do. Within weeks of discovering TPH, I already established quite a few favorites.


What do you crave when you've got the munchies? Some say pizza, others say nachos, but for me it's all about the FRIES! The Public House is home to my now favorite loaded fries, the Queso Blanco fries. Double crispy fries topped with thick, queso blanco, fresh jalapenos, and fried pork belly.


I was a bit skeptical when I first read the description, but after the first bite, I was obsessed. They also have a great Poutine and fantastic Beer Cheese & Bacon loaded fries (although there was one time I had it, and the beer cheese was thinner than usual and made the fries a bit soggy).


I must also tip my hat to the burgers. I had the Rise-N-Grind burger with bacon, cheddar, caramelized onion, and a fried egg. Though it doesn't originally come with the burger, I asked for a side of garlic aioli, and that really kicked it up a notch. The Danno Burger with grilled pineapple, applewood bacon, provolone, and Asian ginger sauce is another favorite when I want more variety in flavor. The burgers are juicy, and well prepared. Even the simple Cheeseburger (which I get with smoked gouda and garlic aioli on the side) satisfies my tastebuds on every level.

TIP: Every Thursday, you can get the Cheeseburger and fries for only $6.00! (I may or may not go almost every Thursday. And drag co-workers into this nasty little habit.)


The sundry display of sandwiches also impressed me. Not knowing which to choose, I deferred to the server, who suggested the BLT Club. It's basically two amazing sandwiches put together to create the Tower of Babel of all sandwiches. It was impossible to get in my mouth (as all my friends know I have to get EVERYTHING in one bite), but it was worth the sore jaw because it was delicious. Brace yourself. Applewood Smoked Bacon, Honey Ham, Roasted Turkey stacked between Toasted Multi Grain Bread with Cheddar Cheese, Lettuce, Tomato and Roasted Garlic & Cilantro Aioli.


Another fave is the Mac Daddy Mac-n-Cheese. We've got Cavatappi pasta with cheddar, honey ham, and applewood bacon, served with garlic bread. Creamy, bacony, and oh so decadent. I am drooling right now, just remembering it. Definitely a dish good for sharing. Or don't share, but schedule a trip to the gym afterwards.


The jury is still deciding how we feel about the wings. And there are many more offerings I am eager to try, but all that will come in time. I am a proud rewards member, and I'm pretty sure I eat there at least once every other week. They've got great specials, a secret menu, and all day, every day is happy hour ($3 Domestic drafts, $4 Wines, & $5 Craft beer and Premium well drinks).

Here are the weekly specials:
Monday: $9.99 Full rack baby back ribs
Tuesday: $14.99 All you can eat wings
Wednesday: $10.99 12oz Ribeye
Thursday: $5.99 Cheeseburger meal

So if you couldn't already tell, I love this place. So go now! Give em your money!

Ambience: 7/10 (Pretty bare bones sports bar feel to it 
with a smell that takes a second to get used to.)
Service: 8/10 (I have heard stories of less than exceptional service,
but every experience I have had has been pretty good.) 
Food: 8.5/10 (Some items are stellar, some just ok.)
Good for: Lunch, Dinner, Drinks, & Late night eats


Curious to know what "Maharaja" is? Read about it in a former entry here:

Comments

Popular Posts