I Eat Indian: Maharaja

Normal people have what they like to call "My Happy Place". Foodies have "My Indian Place".

In Arlington, my Indian place was Kohinoor Dhaba. It was so tiny, the parking lot could hold maybe 2 cars on a good day, but boy was it worth figuring out how to get my order to just exceed $25 for the sake of free delivery!

Now when I look for "My Indian Place," there are several factors I consider:
a) The food
b) Consistency
c) Proximity
d) Service that does not conform to American standards of courtesy.

It's a no brainer that the food has to be fantastic, but can you come back again and again and still fall in love with your favorite dishes as if it were the first time? This is what I mean by consistency. Proximity is also important. An Indian Restaurant may be a full 5 stars on Yelp, but if it is in an area I never frequent, and is a full 30 minutes out of my way, then it hasn't a hope of becoming "My Indian Place".  I need a place I can go STAT when I get the itch for saucy meat! Finally, if service is courteous and bends over backwards for the customer, that tells me that you are too Americanized, and you are not Asian (That's right, India is technically a part of Asia) enough for my tastebuds. I have never met a true Asian restauranteur with the real goods who did not push their food as peddlers hawk their wares. And they will get you with their add-ons if you're not careful!

Behold! I give you Maharaja!



Tucked away in a corner of the Parkway Collection Shopping Center on Lockwood Ridge and University (literally right next to the Parkway 8 Cinemas), Maharaja is one of those places that hundreds walk by but few actually enter. I find this puzzling, because it is the first thing I smell as I approach the theater, and I have a tendency to linger outside and smell the incredible spices wafting through the air. I have never seen it actually full or with a waitstaff of more than one, plus the proprietors. This to me is tragic, because some of it's dishes are up there with the best Indian I've ever had.

Now let's be clear. Not everything on the menu is that fantastic. For me, the samosas, and some of the other appetizers, were just ok. Definitely fun to try if one is having an Indian food adventure with friends, but I can't remember anything that stood out to me as an appetizer necessity. The Tandoori Chicken in the Mixed Grill (pictured below) was tasty, but overcooked. This could have just been the one time I had it, but I just remember making a note to not get it again. Who knows? It may have been an off day, and you might order it and find it's the best thing you've tasted all year.


On to my faves! Rather than chips and salsa, Indians do papadum and chutney (see above, that thing that looks like a crispy tortilla with sauces). There is a spicy green cilantro-mint chutney and a sweet tamarind chutney. I like to eat my papadum with a little bit of both!

THE CURRIES
Curry was a term coined by the Brits to describe the every day food that the natives ate when India was still under British Imperialism. Curry was basically any meat that was in a sauce. What I love about a good curry is that one dish can have so many different flavors present that I can't even detect them all, and yet they live in such perfect harmony. And every Indian cook has his or her own special blend of spices. At Maharaja, all the curry dishes come with fragrant Basmati rice, and you can get any curry prepared Mild, Medium, or Hot. I like mine on Medium heat, but everyone has their own preferences.

A good staple curry here is the Chicken Tikka Masala. The sauce is tomato based, and it can be as spicy or not-spicy as you want it. If you like bold flavor, but don't want to go too exotic, this is the one for you. *Pictured on the left with the Mango Lassi (yogurt drink)


Also pictured on the right is the Garlic Naan and the Saag Paneer (spinach & cheese), which perfectly complement any Indian curry dish.

The Lamb Curry. I don't even know what all is in it, but it is GOOD! Savory and tender, and the best part is, it tastes even better after being left in your fridge overnight and reheated the next day!


And for the grand finale on the best curries to be had at this establishment, I give you the Coconut Shrimp Curry! The sauce is creamy and slightly on the sweeter side. To give you an idea of just how good it is, my Picky Eater Bestie Christen loves it. And she HATES coconut!


TIPS: The best way to do Maharaja is family style where you order a bunch of dishes and share with everyone, but you don't have to do it that way. At lunch time there is also a buffet, but personally I think the food is best when fresh and made to order.

Not pictured is the Shrimp Biryani. Biryani is kind of like the Indian equivalent of fried rice. It is also heavily spiced and flavored with saffron and golden raisins. As I do not have photo evidence of this delightful dish, I will have to leave you with the equally delightful review my friend and fellow foodie, Eric, so graciously let me post:

"Let me begin by stating that I am not a paid culinary advisor, nor am I a professional food promotor of any kind; I am simply a 33-year- old rice-hound on a quest to catch and ride the perfect starch wave of exotic aromas and far-away spices. A staunch proponent of jasmine rice from a young age, I have, on occasion, been known to thumb my nose at the 'lesser' varietals. However, I recently discovered a dish so uncommonly pleasant and flavorful that it left me visibly shaken and wan in disbelief and forced me to reevaluate the taste-hierarchy of the entire rice kingdom.

I know what you're thinking- 'Get real, bruh! Such a dish could only exist in the realm of fantasy; the only logical conclusion is that you have dreamt it.' To which I would retort, for centuries, there have been whispers and murmurs amongst savvy gourmands and gastronomes about a rice dish so flavorful and fragrant that many have doubted its very existence. Well, I am here to tell you that such a dish not only exists, but its legendary taste did surpass my wildest expectations. I am of course referring to Maharaja (aptly, the title used for an Indian prince) Restaurant's shrimp biryani.

Living up to its namesake, this stately and dignified dish is prepared with spices so subtly intertwined, you will be forced to agree that other rice dishes (apart from certain gumbos, piquants, and etouffees) pale in comparison. And while I am never keen on the use of golden raisins in my dishes, this dish was so enjoyable that I'd eaten 3/4 before realizing the following: 1) there were golden raisins in this dish; 2) the golden raisins were delicious; 3) I may also now have to reevaluate my general stance on cooking with raisins, but I digress…The short of it is that I went into this biryani anticipating nothing, and finished the final fork-full realizing that world was a lot bigger than I ever could have imagined and that maybe, just maybe, some taste-legends, no matter how far-fetched, may indeed contain a fragrant, long-stemmed grain of truth. My name is Eric Price and I strongly endorse this dish."

So there you have it, folks! My Indian Place! If you don't have one yet, you're welcome to make it yours as well, or if you already have your own, I'd love to try it! (Unless you say Tandoor. We can't be friends if you say your Indian Place is Tandoor. JK we can still be friends.)

Ambience: 6/10 (It's a hole in the wall, but that's half the fun)
Service: 7/10 (It wouldn't be real Indian if it was spectacular service) 
Food: 9.5/10
Good for: Lunch & Dinner (But closed on Tuesdays)

Lamb Curry: $16 
Chicken Tikka Masala: $15
Coconut Shrimp: $17
Shrimp Biryani: $16
Mixed Grill: $19
Saag Paneer: $14
Garlic Naan: $3

http://www.maharajaindiancuisinefl.com/menu.aspx

Comments

Popular Posts