I Eat Mid-Century Industrial Chic: State Street

For years now I have been a loyal State Street customer... at the bar.

State Street houses my favorite drink (Marie Rose) made by my favorite bartender (VP). But I never quite made it over there before 9:30 p.m.!

I am happy to report that I have remedied this problem, and I was not disappointed. First off, the server was amazing. He was most helpful at offering suggestions without being too pushy, and as accommodating as one could be with kitchen restrictions. Though there was a carafe of water on the table, not once did I have to fill my own glass.

I had the Fall Squash Soup and the Chopped Butter Lettuce Salad w/ goat cheese (instead of bleu as is on the menu). Both were excellent. The soup was sweet and spicy, with the warm flavors of cumin and sumac coming through, offset by the crisp apples and creamy herb goat cheese. The salad was fresh, beautifully balanced, and dressed to perfection. I wouldn't say there was anything extraordinarily innovative about it, but it checked off every box on my list and I would order it again in a heartbeat.


My sister, Lisa ordered the Veggie Quinoa Burger with a side of Buttermilk Soaked Onion Rings. As an avid meat eater, vegetarian versions of meaty entrees have to have their flavors and textures in aces to pass my gauge of acceptability. State Street's vegetarian burger passed every test. The warm, savory spiced patty and tangy beet slaw topped with cumin yogurt was a delightful and hearty sandwich. The Buttermilk Onion Rings were perfectly battered, and the tender onions broke off with every bite without leaving strings behind or separating from its crispy fried casing.


It was an easy choice for my cousin, Dawn. The Baked Lobster Mac & Cheese. And we're not talking lobster flavored mac & cheese or tiny tidbits of lobster mac and cheese. We're talking big, meaty chunks of lobster in REAL macaroni and cheese. Not fusilli. Not shells. Not penne. MACARONI! I've never seen it done! The lobster mac was paired with a slice of rustic bread and baby arugula salad.


Last but not least, the Reuben, had by my dearest sister in law, Tiffany. (If you couldn't tell, this was a family affair.) This was a solid Reuben. Not as saucy as I am accustomed to, but I didn't mind it so much because the house made corned beef was piled high, and the house made sauerkraut was to die for. It was so tangy it made my mouth pucker (in a good way). It was paired with the hand-cut fries, which were flawless, and were the perfect accompaniment for it.


All in all, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of everything at State Street, from the exceptional service, to the well executed preparation of the meal. A solid choice, and I'm sure I'll be back... not just barside.


Just to prove that taking pictures of food is not just a millennial thing, here is a picture of my beautiful GenX sister doing just that!


Ambience: 8/10
Service: 10/10 
Food: 9.5/10
Good for: Casual Brunch, Lunch, Dinner

Fall Squash Soup: $7 
Chopped Butter Lettuce Salad: $11
Veggie Quinoa Burger: $11
Baked Lobster Mac & Cheese: $14.75
Reuben: $10.50
Buttermilk Onion Rings: $6
Hand-Cut Fries: $4

http://www.statestreetsrq.com/home.html

Comments

Popular Posts