I Eat Thai: Isan Thai



In D.C., I had my staple Thai places: Thai Basil in Fairfax and Thaiphoon in Pentagon City.  Whenever I visit a new Thai restaurant I look for 4 basic things: 1) a good Drunken Noodle, 2) a good Pad Thai, 3) a good Panang Curry, and 4) a good Green Curry.

The reason Drunken Noodle is first on my list is because it is the first thing I look for.  It is my personal favorite.  Sadly, this one dish was very difficult to find.  Either the restaurant messed it up by putting things like celery in it (totally competes with the crucial flavor of the thai basil) or did not serve it at all.

I was disappointed with the likes of Bangkok and Drunken Poet, and had almost given up hope of finding my go-to Thai place in Sarasota... then I found Isan.
Isan Thai has been solid every time I've been.  The drunken noodles are, so far, the best I've had in Sarasota, and the Pad Thai is fabulous.


I am somewhat of a Spring Roll snob.  Growing up with my mom's Crispy Spring Rolls made me turn up my nose at any complimentary spring rolls you might get with your lunch combo Chinese take-out. These Spring Rolls, however, get my hearty stamp of approval. Inside the crispy fried rice skin is a delectable bundle of chicken, cabbage, carrots & bean thread (A.K.A. cellophane) noodles. They are a definite DO TRY.



When I am in the mood for a sweeter curry, I go for the Panang Curry.  With plenty of veggies and chicken stewing in a hot tub of sweet, yet savory coconutty, peanutty gravy, I know my Netflix & Chilling has just been taken to a whole 'nother level.  I have not yet tried the Green Curry, but based on the quality of all the other dishes I have tried, I am fairly confident that theirs will not disappoint.

There are still dozens of Thai restaurants in Sarasota that I have not had the pleasure of trying, so if you know of any that I MUST try, please let me know!

http://isanthairestaurant.com/

Comments

Popular Posts