I Eat on the Beach: Shore

There seem to be two camps of people: Those who say that Shore is totally overrated/overpriced and those who say that Shore is their favorite restaurant in all of Sarasota.  I figured I'd find something in between those two.

Photo Cred: Campana Photography

I was excited to get to experience Shore with a great group of friends. The only thing better than good food is good food WITH good friends. I don't trust people who cannot share their food.

Photo Cred: Campana Photography

Photo Cred: Campana Photography

Shore definitely plays on the strengths of it's St. Armand's seaside location. It's got a relaxed, open, breezy, beachy feel with a touch of that rustic chic Millennials love. 

We started off with appetizers to share. There was Maryland Crab Cake and Spiced Whole Roasted Cauliflower. The crab cake was 100% lump crab meat served with a jicama slaw and a miso ginger aioli. There were bright citrusy notes in it as well. It was a big hit with everyone, even those who did not normally like crab cakes.

Maryland Crab Cake / Photo Cred: Campana Photography

Everyone also really enjoyed the cauliflower, served in a shishito puree with goat cheese, currants, and a hazelnut pesto. Both those appetizers are definitely on the NEED-TO-TRY list.

Spiced Roasted Cauliflower / Photo Cred: Campana Photography

For entrees, I will list them least favorite to favorite:

Edwin got the Kale Caesar Salad. If you like kale, I'm sure this is right up your alley, but I'm just not big on raw kale unless it's blended up in a smoothie.

Kale Caesar Salad / Photo Cred: Campana Photography

Charlotte had the Shrimp and Mango Ceviche and Guacamole. It was pretty standard as far as ceviche goes. It was good, but if I really want excellent ceviche, I'm gonna go to Brasa and Pisco.

Shrimp & Mango Ceviche / Photo Cred: Campana Photography

Adam ordered the Pan Seared Red Snapper with Arancini Cake, Caponata, Citrus Butter, and Wilted Spinach.  I do love snapper, and this one was well prepared. However, I think traditional Italian flavors are best left to themselves. I felt like the tropical citrusy flavors threw me off when fused with the Italian flavors of the Arancini and Caponata.

Pan Seared Red Snapper / Photo Cred: Campana Photography

Aimee chose a favorite of hers, the Key West Shrimp & Scallop with Lemon Risotto, Tomato Confit, and Local Greens. I found this dish bright and flavorful, the citrus flavor perfectly complimenting the sweet and mild flavors of the shellfish.

Key West Shrimp & Scallop / Photo Cred: Campana Photography

Daniel had the Zesty Shrimp & Soba Noodle Bowl with Bankok Market Vegetables and Soft Boiled Egg in a Lime Leaf Coconut Broth. It was a delicious combination of savory Thai flavors with the traditional Japanese noodle. I would totally get this next time.

Zesty Shrimp & Soba Noodle Bowl / Photo Cred: Campana Photography

I had the Wood Grilled Branzino atop a Roasted Corn and Goat Cheese Polenta, Shaved Fennel Citrus Salad, and Basil Butter. It checked every box on my list. The light, white fish was grilled to perfection, with just a hint the charred wood flavor coming through, contrasted with the sweet, herby, and zesty of the fennel citrus salad. The warm, comforting, down to earth flavors of the polenta just perfectly balanced all the others.  It was everything I could possibly want in a fish dish. I would absolutely order it again. 

Wood Grilled Branzino / Photo Cred: Campana Photography

Finally, dessert. We had a flourless chocolate torte that was delicious and rich, but nothing could have prepared us for the magic that was the Butterscotch Pots de Creme! It was the butterscotch pudding of the gods! I could bathe in the stuff. 


In summary, I can't say Shore deserves the title of Best Restaurant in all of Sarasota, but I definitely see this being a restaurant I will happily frequent in the future.

Photo Cred: Campana Photography

Ambience: 9/10
Service: 9/10 
Food: 8.5/10
Good for: Beach (Pricey) Casual Brunch, Lunch, Dinner 

Maryland Lump Jumbo 100% Crab Cake: $15
Spiced Whole Roasted Cauliflower: $13
Shrimp and Mango Ceviche w/ Guacamole: $16
Local Kale Caesar: $10
Zesty Shrimp & Soba Noodle Bowl: $18
Pan Seared Red Snapper: $31
Key West Shrimp & Scallop: $31
Wood Grilled Branzino: $28

https://shorebrand.com/pages/sarasota-restaurant

Comments

Popular Posts