I Eat Brunch: Part 1

Brunch: It's in. It's what you want after sleeping in on a Saturday, or after church on a Sunday when you're already dressed to see and be seen. I'm not sure who made the rule that you have to look good at brunch, but it's a real thing.

And like the rest of my fellow red-blooded Americans, I too am quite partial to brunch for several reasons.
1. Eggs, potatoes, and bacon (in all their many forms) are three of my favorite foods.
2. You're 75% less likely to get rejected if you ask someone to brunch. (My estimation. Not science.)
3. Mimosas: An excuse to day-drink, and it's acceptable because it's 50% orange juice.

But where oh where in Sarasota does one get brunch, you might ask? Well, I am starting a brunch series to highlight some of my favorite spots, and here are the first four. (In no particular order.)

1. Brick's Smoked Meats
Serving Brunch on Saturdays & Sundays, 9:30am-3pm

My faves: Chicken & Waffles, BBQ Piggy Stack, and the Breads & Spreads. 


Waffles are waffles, but THIS CHICKEN! I was quite impressed with the fried chicken at Brick's, and I certainly didn't come in expecting much from a barbecue establishment. But they delivered. Perfectly crispy, perfectly juicy, and perfectly seasoned.

The BBQ Piggy Stack consisted of bbq pulled pork and eggs sunny-side up on a jalapeno cheddar buscuit with chipotle hollandaise. Need I say more?

The Breads & Spreads was, all around, a treat, but what really took it all the way was the Honey Burrata. It was stupid good, and I could eat it all day every day.

Bricks has got a nice open feel, and a cute, rustic ambience. It's a great option for larger groups of brunch enthusiasts. There's plenty of seating for everyone.

2. Made
Serving Brunch on Sundays, 10am-3pm (Best to make a reservation.)

What I've tried: BGFT and Chicken & Biscuits


The BGFT (no clue what it stands for) is a trash heap of Southern yum, made up of house made pimento cheese, billionaire bacon, beer & bacon collard greens, friend green tomato, poached eggs, and topped with chipotle hollandaise. This takes the Benedict to a whole 'nother level.

The Chicken & Biscuits have a chicken fried chicken breast on buttermilk biscuits, topped with a fried egg and pepper milk sausage gravy. Be sure to ask for extra gravy!

3. The Original Egg
Serving Breakfast/Brunch every day from 7:30am-2:30pm

My Fave: Expo's Skillet, but really ALL the Skillets


So, not very glamorous to look at, but the Expo's Skillet is an iceberg of a dish, in that 90% of what matters lies under the surface. Applewood Smoked Bacon, sautéed Onions & Bell Peppers with Cheddar Cheese and two eggs your way on a bed of CHEESY POTATO CASSEROLE. And it is to die for. All of the skillets are made with this cheesy potato casserole, so you really can't go wrong with any of them.

The restaurant has a homey, kitschy feel that screams, "Welcome back, Frank & Edith! Amanda's got your table all ready for you!" It's perfect for the no-frills brunch experience, and you don't feel like you will be judged for wearing flip-flops.

4. Rendezvous (I prefer the one on Siesta Drive)
Serving Breakfast/Brunch Tuesday-Saturday 7:30am-4pm and Sundays 8am-3pm

What's good: Eeeeeverything! But I never leave without an assortment of tarts and pain au chocolat. Really fantastic quiches as well. I had La Quiche au fromage de chevre with goat cheese and sun-dried tomatoes, and it was heavenly. But everything these French people at Rendezvous make is utter perfection. Bon appetit!




Comments

Popular Posts