I Eat MORE Korean: Ssam Bar

Annyeonghaseyo!!! Ok. If you haven't figured it out by now, Becca luvah her some Korean food!

So of course I got crazy excited when I discovered there's a newer Korean place in town. It's called Ssam Bar on 301 and 15th. The second I heard about it, I called up my Korean Food Buddy, Astra, and made a date.


The inside was cute, but didn't seem to have any coherent sort of theme except for Asian. They also offer sushi, but I was interested only in the Korean cuisine on this trip. We ordered our usual favorites because a) we wanted to compare them with Shilla's, b) we're creatures of habit, and c) they're pretty much always good.

First, we started off with the Seafood Pancake (Pajeon). Just as we do at Shilla, we nixed the calamari and asked for extra shrimp. As delicious as it was, I personally prefer Shilla's Seafood Pajeon because it has a chewier, more tapioca-like texture that is just fantastic if you can get it crispy enough on the outside.


Next, the bulgogi. Again, I really enjoyed it, but where Shilla hit a HOME RUN with their bulgogi, this one was more of a Made it to Third Base kinda deal. It was certainly authentic and tasted like a Korean home-cooked meal. It even came with stir-fried veggies as opposed to the little side dishes usually served at Korean restaurants.


Finally, my favorite was the Galbi, or Korean Short Ribs. Sooo tender! Sooo flavorful! Sooo good! I would get these again and again! And even though it's hiding in a corner in the picture below, the Kimchi deserves full-on Rock Star status! I almost feel guilty saying that I like it better than my mom's. But I still have to say it because it is so dang good!

TIP: They do not bring nearly enough Kimchi to satisfy you, but DON'T ask for more because they'll charge you a lot extra for it. It is more cost effective to ask to buy it by the pint ($5) or by the quart ($9). And TRUST ME, you're gonna want the quart.


Astra and I finished off our meal with a little mochi ice cream. She had the mango and I had the strawberry. It was perfect to have a sweet little something that did not push your already stuffed belly further into self-loathing. Although, it's really better just to buy a box yourself at the nearest Asian Market or Trader Joe's.

Overall, I was perfectly satisfied with my experience at Ssam Bar. I really was afraid that it might lessen my love for Shilla the way a new baby might make you forget how enamored you are of the firstborn, but it really didn't. I love them equally. Some things I think Shilla does better, and some things I think Ssam Bar does better. I look forward to trying more things and getting to know Ssam Bar a little better in the future.

Ambience: 8/10.
Service: 10/10 
Food: 8.5/10
Good for: Casual Lunch or Dinner

Seafood Pancake: $12
Beef Bulgogi Lunch Special: $9
Galbi Lunch Special: $12
Kimchi: $5 (pint), $9 (quart)
Mochi Ice Cream (2 pieces) $5

Comments

Popular Posts