I Eat MacCreams: Alamode Macaron

HEAVEN! I'm in Heaven!

Lucky Charms

For months now, I've been patiently watching and waiting for the next pop-up site to be announced on Instagram. (@alamodemacaron_srq) Her Insta-game is strong. I've had to hold back the floodgates of drool as I browsed picture after picture of these delectable confections. I had heard great things about these Macaron Ice Cream Sandwiches, and I was dying to see for myself.

That day finally came. The next pop-up was announced, and it would be open from noon to sell out at Perq.

I got there 25 minutes early, and seeing no line I went inside Perq to read my book. Typical hipster coffee shop. As top-notch as the coffee is, it can be such a hostile environment. I always get condescending looks from the Millennial part-timers. Oh well. I could handle a bit of snobbery if these MacCreams were as amazing as they looked.

After about 10 minutes, I turned my head to see that a line had already formed outside. DRAT! Oh well. Living in D.C. made me an expert Queue Squatter. This was nothing compared to the two and a half hour wait I dutifully endured on the regs at Rose's Luxury. #worthit


As I neared the front of the line, I started to get knots in my stomach. "What if they're not as great as people say they are? What if all this is gonna end in one giant disappointment and sugary tummy ache?

Finally, it was my turn! I approached the cart and stopped to appreciate the hard work and passion Autumn was putting into her little business.


I selected the Peanut Butter Pie MacCream and the Nutella Brownie MacCream at $7 a piece.

It was LOVE AT FIRST BITE!

Peanut Butter Pie

Do I love macarons? Yes. Do I love ice cream? Yes. Do I love peanut butter pie? Yes. So you can imaging the marriage of all these lovely things was somewhat of an explosion of happiness on my palate. Every aspect of this dessert was brilliant. The macaron shell was that beautiful combination of crispy/chewy, the ice cream was firm and didn't melt too quickly, but still easy to bite through and creamy and delicious. The peanut butter flavor was very present, but did not overwhelm.

Nutella Brownie

I thought to myself, "Surely nothing can top this." I was wrong. The Nutella Brownie MacCream can only be described as PERFECTION. Taste, texture, balance, Nutella, Nutella, & Nutella. There are actual chewy brownie chunks in the ice cream. Autumn has really perfected the art of balance in her MacCreams. Most Instagrammy pretty desserts are excessively sweet sugar bombs. These were just right.

And yes. I ate them both. This little piggy went NOM NOM NOM all the way home.

Since that fateful day, I have been back many a time, and have never been disappointed.  Below are even more scrumptious flavors I've tried.

Pictured above is another on my faves list, the Lucky Charms MacCream. I was a little curious, a little skeptical about how the combination of macaron, ice cream, and cereal would turn out, but it was absolutely transformational! The cereal wasn't soggy, the sweet cream ice cream complimented and did not hamper the nostalgic taste of the dehydrated marshmallow pieces, and I swear the bright color of the shell just made it even more delicious.

The Ube (Asian sweet potato) flavor also found a special place in my heart. It's a subtle, sweet, mild, almost nutty flavor. I hope and pray she brings it back.

Ube

The S'more is a chocolate desert lover's dream. One of her sweeter MacCreams, this one really tastes like a classic S'more minus the campfire flavor. It's got chocolate ice cream with graham cracker, milk chocolate chunks, and marshmallow. What's not to love?

S'mores

A good classic flavor is the Mint Chocolate Chip. Very light and refreshing, and the mint is not overpowering.

Mint Chocolate Chip

As we gear up for fall, the MacCream lineup would be incomplete without the Pumpkin Pie! A fan favorite, and honestly great in any season!

Pumpkin Pie

For those with more adventurous palates, try the delicious Rose-Pistachio. Gentle earthy, floral notes to offset the nutty, buttery flavors of the pistachio shortbread. Not to mention, it's just beautiful to look at.

Rose-Pistachio


I continue to look forward to trying more flavors at her future pop-ups. Or here's hoping she eventually gets to open her own storefront.

But don't just take my word for it. Go follow her on Instagram @alamodemacaron_srq and watch for the next pop-up!

Comments

Popular Posts